Friday, January 30, 2009

Complacently Content?

I have become really lazy about a lot of things...In the past, I have always looked for something to do when what I'm doing is finished. This applies at work, home, church, school -- where ever -- it was extremely rare to find me sitting idle twiddling my thumbs or being unproductive. Fast forward to where I see that I am right now. My job itself is not the most challenging thing that I have ever done before. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job -- I work with 5 other God-fearing Christians who are more concerned with glorifying God through our work & ministry than making money. There is NO PRESSURE to skate by or even have the thought of sliding something through that might not totally 100% follow the rules. This job has challenges outside of the actual work tasks -- people skills, personalities, etc. While I am content with what I'm doing right now - I have asked myself, is there such a thing as being TOO CONTENT? Does there come a point where you are so cool with what's going on around you & what you're doing that you become indifferent or complacent or even borderline lazy? I am so not used to having a drama and stress free workplace. EVERY other job that I have ever worked at has had some element of discord. I guess I have spent most of my life after college looking for the "next best thing" as far as my career goes and this season where I am just seems way too good to be true. I'm not looking further than this careerwise which is a question that I get quite a bit. "You have an MBA, so what now?" -- Now is the time for me to sit back and relax and soak up all this positiveness! I have always said there is a huge difference between having a life & making a living. So I guess it is completely natural for me to wonder if I have "settled" (careerwise) or if this is the end all be all that God has had for me all along? I don't have the answers to these questions and I know I'm rambling - but that's what's been on my mind for the past few weeks or so. Feedback & comments are greatly appreciated!

I have been a total slacker on Project Health & Fitness for the past week also. I have not worked out this week AT ALL. I had a plan to work out on Tuesday & Wednesday but my excuse is that it was too cold. Well, and Wednesday there was ice all up to my doorway on the sidewalk & stepping outside would've probably resulted in me falling down & getting hurt. :( Sooo... next week is a new week & I will try to do better -- ugh, as I write this I can feel the burn ESPECIALLY since me and that treadmill haven't seen each other in over a week. I have kept up with the food part of my project though. Just now I ate a Lean Cuisine (Baked Chicken) and just made the comment to my co-workers that it was way to LEAN. I am still hungry but hopefully I can fight the urge to snack by drinking lots of tea & water & then eat when I get home.

I was going to post some photos from last week's trip to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra but photobucket just doesnt' seem to want to work for me today. Maybe next time... :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe your not lazy, your just at a stand still. Your MBA was a goal, but what did you really have planned after that. Pull out your 5 10 15 year goals and start working on your ladder of success and resolvment in areas of personal gain (work and education), devotion (to yourself and others), and exploration (have you seen all you want to see in this great grand world)!
its never too early or too late to do things you've wanted or see and visit other places. Vacation, volunteer, do some missionary things! You have alot of potential and now you have the time to look into it! :) IZZI